Research Strategy and Policy
Leading research at the institutional level is based on the following:
- Indonesia 2005-2025 White Book of the Ministry of Research and Technology Republic of Indonesia.
- Book Masterplan for the Acceleration and Expansion of Indonesian Economic Development (MP3EI) 2011-2025.
- Abilities possessed by the Expertise Group (KK).
- Trends in technological developments that develop in the next 20 years.
- Telkom University has the characteristics of excellence in science, technology and art, it is necessary to determine the applied science, technology and art in a number of superior fields which are indeed needed by the state and needed by the world.
Based on the considerations above, several leading research areas are determined as follows:
- Advanced Material
- Health and Medicine
- Energy and Renewable Energy
- Information and communication technology
- Social and Humanities
The background to the need for research related to transportation is due to the following:
- Global economic growth has transformed from an industry-based economy to a science and information technology-based economy,
- Transportation infrastructure supported by information and communication technology influences global and regional economic movements,
- Modern and sophisticated transportation technology is supported by information and communication technology.
The objective of the research in the field of transportation based on the background above is to create innovative transportation products and services that are reliable in supporting global and regional economic movements that consider humanitarian and justice aspects.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. At present the transportation management system is still not thoroughly using information technology, so research on information and communication technology-based transportation is still needed.
The background to the need for research relating to Advanced Materials is due to the following:
- Advanced materials are the basic needs of advanced industries which are one of the indicators of the progress of industrialized countries,
- Still lack of mastery of advanced material technology,
- Among the advanced material benefits are to increase the added value and competitiveness of natural resources, reduce import dependency, increase local content, create jobs, and increase tax revenues.
The objective of research in the field of advanced materials is so that advanced materials can be produced domestically. The advanced research material that is the focus of research is advanced rare earth metal materials, materials for energy storage (batteries), functional materials and Nano materials, catalyst materials, and raw materials for the iron and steel industry. Advanced material research is aimed at mastering strategic materials supporting technology products, which among others are focused on: (i) rare earths, (ii) permanent magnetic materials, (iii) solid battery materials, and (iv) silicon-based materials.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. Advanced materials are industry needs that are indicators of the progress of advanced industries. Lack of mastery of advanced material technology, in-depth research is needed to support it.
Health and Medicine (source of RIN 2017-2045)
The background to the need for research related to health and medicine is that Indonesia faces various strong challenges in the field of public health (Ministry of Health, 2015), is due to the following:
- Maternal and child health (maternal mortality rate, infant mortality rate, and prevalence of malnutrition) is still of concern;
- Community nutrition, or often called malnutrition, on the one hand is malnourished and excess nutrition with various consequences;
- Infectious diseases that are still dominant (56%), such as dengue fever, malaria, diarrhea and AIDS;
- Non-communicable diseases that tend to continue to increase, such as cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes;
- Environmental sanitation, especially related to drinking water supply; and
- Mental health is quite a lot, such as depression which results in behavioral disorders. The purpose of research in the field of Health and Medicine based on the background above is to support research policies, industry, and marketing of medical devices and diagnostics that do not yet exist, where independence and sovereignty in the field of medical devices have not yet been realized. The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. At present, medical devices and medicines still depend on import providers, so research is needed to create local products that are competitive with imported products.
The objective of research in the field of Health and Medicine based on the background above is to support research policies, industry, and marketing of medical devices and diagnostics that do not yet exist, where independence and sovereignty in the field of medical devices have not yet been realized.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. At present, medical devices and medicines still depend on import providers, so research is needed to create local products that are competitive with imported products.
Energy and Renewable Energy
The background to the need for research relating to Energy is due to the following:
- The era of cheap oil is over.
- Alternative energy, although promising, cannot be produced to meet existing needs.
- Investment must be made as soon as possible in new energy sources.
- We must learn to conserve energy.
- Energy is related to national security.
The objective of the research in the field of energy based on the background above is to find a new energy source / energy substitute for fuel oil (BBM) that meets the following requirements:
- Must be abundant.
Alternative sources of energy substitute for fuel that are predicted to be very promising and require attention are hydrogen energy sources and nano technology. Hydrogen was chosen here for the following reasons:
- Reliable source. Hydrogen is available in the wild without limits, and is safe to use because when it reacts with oxygen it only produces water.
- Hydrogen can power private and public transportation and various tools, machinery and other needs that require energy.
- Hydrogen will not depend on any country’s monopoly, so it is a very good investment.
- Environmentally friendly. Hydrogen produces water as a waste, although oil is still needed to produce hydrogen fuel.
- Hydrogen is functioning at this time. Actually, hydrogen can produce power now, it’s just too expensive and not ready to be used for mass transportation.
- The amount is unlimited. Hydrogen is present in nature in unlimited quantities.
- Cheap and economical hydrogen.
Besides those two things above, one of the other alternative energy is wind. However, the availability of wind is still unstable and wind power is difficult to store. That is why the wind does not become the main alternative energy.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. At present hydrogen technology cannot be implemented in full, so research is needed so that production costs are realistic and efficiency is quite good. At present the production costs especially for splitting molecules and storing hydrogen energy are still relatively expensive, so that production costs are relatively high and efficiency is not optimal.
Nano technology is the new science of how to engineer molecules at the atomic scale. Nano technology can be used to design new forms of energy or solve problems that will make other forms of energy more productive and useful. Nano technology plays an important role in the energy crisis because it represents a new strategic platform to carry out processes that previously could not. This Nano technology will eventually lead to the production of new energy sources that have never been imagined before. Until now several oil industries have invested billions of dollars in research and development of alternative energy, renewable fuels and equipment. Nano technology will trigger the emergence of hybrid vehicles, fuel cells, and transportation and energy system solutions. Research that has been carried out to date includes nanotechnology to develop solar cells, or Nano-atoms that develop Nano hydrogen storage products.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
The background to the need for research related to information technology is because almost all other research fields need support from information and communication technology. The predicted innovation trends that will succeed in 2025 are as follows:
- Teleportation between planets.
- Specific DNA is traded online.
- Space travel to the moon and mars.
- Engineering material to make smart products.
- Four billion people will be involved in trading on the internet.
- Hydrogen engine for transportation.
- Human cybernetic health services.
- Memory and drug transfer system.
- Household robot.
From the nine innovation trends above, then no. 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9 need strong information and communication technology support. Besides that, for the leading sectors of transportation, health and security, information technology needs to be supported.
The challenges related to the field of Information and Communication Technology in 2040 are as follows:
- Poverty alleviation through trade and health services. For this, information technology is needed to support it.
- The realization of global peace and security, which also needs to be supported by accurate information and guaranteed security.
- Cross-cultural understanding through various media to avoid conflicts and global tensions. Even this really needs to be supported by strong information and communication technology.
- Global trade which enables entrepreneurs to obtain prosperity and independence and to invest in democratic development in their respective countries. This of course requires high accountability and widespread information dissemination. For that we need the support of strong information and communication technology as well.
- Communication and the internet will be available to every nation and society.
The objective of the research in the field of Information and Communication Technology based on the background above are as follows:
- Creating a network in the form of wireless, wide-reaching, so it can be accessed anytime and anywhere.
- Create a network that can market products, objects and material manufacturers online.
- The telephone and TV system will be fully integrated with the internet.
- Developing a kind of “personal awareness” of itself for the internet.
- Creating a real-time access system to 80% of the world’s total information that can be provided free / low cost.
- Completing e-mail will be with multimedia and audio and video streaming.
- Announce real-time video conferencing that can be widely used.
- Build networks that can be utilized by traders, banks and consumers.
- Creating a network will become accessible to almost unlimited individuals / parties.
- Create a system that can guarantee personal secrets, because personal secrets will be recognized as a matter of national security.
- Internet support equipment that is expected to be as cheap as possible, but fast and smart.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. Until now the technology produced to be able to establish online and secure communication still requires high costs with limitations in realizing communication in real-time, guaranteeing its security and the quality of information it generates. Besides that, there are still many functional needs that cannot be fulfilled as a whole, for example the provision of information in three dimensions, intelligent systems to deal with crime, and others. For this reason, it is necessary to conduct research that can realize communication in real-time, guarantee its security and produce good quality information. Besides that the required costs can be reduced.
Social and Humanities
The background to the need for research relating to Social and Humanities is as follows:
- The development of science about business and management is increasingly converging so that empirical results are needed to assist decision makers in running their business.
- The situation of the rapidly changing external environment affects the achievement of the vision, mission, goals and objectives of an organization.
- The organization has limitations in adapting external influences to obtain and use its resources.
- Management of an organization is faced with a problem that does not stand alone.
- The problem solving process in making decisions is less supported by accurate information.
The objective of research in the field of business management is to increase certain understanding of business and management. Research in management yields solutions to new problems. Knowledge in the form of practical findings will far have relevance and value for managers and business people.
The gap between current technology and the target to be achieved. The diversity of technologies that cause policies in business management to change in every variety. A reason is justified in choosing the combination of technology and business management by the company. Let’s say a company in an industry uses technology to get input in various ways. If all companies do the same there will be competition in terms of getting new technology in order to get far better input. The choice of technology change time for production systems before determining business policy is always associated with the risk of the age of the technology to be used. Thus it can be concluded that there is a positive correlation between the diversity of technology and business management.